And by "this thing", I mean my website, not this blog (although, that is part of it).
- The core is an Ubuntu server running on Linode at the time of writing.
- Then Nginx is used as a proxy for..
- OpenResty, which is itself a fork of Nginx bundled with several modules for working on websites using Lua.
- The site is built in a framework called Lapis*, which is great for making a website using MoonScript (self-described as CoffeeScript, but for Lua).
- I use a bcrypt library for dealing with passwords on the user account system.
- lua-discount** is a wrapper for Discount that I use for writing these blog posts, and for styling descriptions of KSP craft submitted here.
- And finally, the thing I forgot to mention when I first published this, SimpleMDE, which is a nice web-based editor for working with Markdown. The only downside to it right now is that it works with GFM, while Discount uses standard Markdown with a few of its own weird extensions.
Of course, there are other things at work, systemd, GitHub, and OpenSSL just to name a few. And the whole this is open source after all, so you can see for yourself if you're interested.
Oh look at me using fancy words.
Really, there are two things I try to focus on with the design of this site.
- A clean look.
I'm not so good at design, so sometimes I fail a bit at #2, but I'm always improving. #1 is its own challenge, never-ending, but fortunately, due to the frameworks and systems I'm using, a lot of that is taken care of for me. I do have to always remember to keep an eye on it though, lest something bad happen.
I just felt like using this as an excuse to actually write something here. That's pretty much all there is to it. There's a lot of work that still needs to be done, but right now I'm pretty happy with how things are going.
And after one quick edit to fix forgetting to mention SimpleMDE, I consider this done! If I do another post on it, it will be about what has changed, or if I have changed my approach to it. Thanks for reading, and leave a comment below if you care to.
**I may switch to marked.